NWMSU Board Of Regents Approve Rates, New Phase Of Hall Renovation

Northwest Missouri State University’s Board of Regents approved tuition and fees and room and board rates during their March session.

The Board approved a 4.2 percent rate increase. Based on 30 credit hours, in-state undergraduate students attending Northwest next fall will see an estimated average net tuition price of $210.15, while out-of-state undergraduate students will see an estimated average net tuition price of $420.29.

Room rates will increase between $260 and $320 annually, depending on the residence hall a student selects. Meal plan rates will cost between $140 and $182, depending on the residential meal plan selected.

Northwest’s technology fee will increase by $1, and the textbook fee will increase by 50 cents per credit hour. Combined, the University’s innovative textbook and laptop rental programs save students an average of $6,800 during four years at Northwest.

The Board approved the creation of a Bachelor of Science degree in public health and a graduate certificate in data analytics to begin next fall.

The University anticipates the Bachelor of Science in public health, which Northwest will offer online and in person on its Maryville campus, will serve a new market of students interested in the public health field.

The 12-hour graduate certificate in data analytics will be offered online and assist working professionals interested in business intelligence and data analysis. Students will complete four introductory courses to obtain the certificate, and the coursework may be applied to Northwest’s Master of Science degree program in data analytics.

Regents approved the next phase of Northwest’s renovation at Martindale Hall to address space needs and centralize operations for allied health sciences programs. Northwest is now ready to embark on renovations and expansion of the building’s first and second floors.

Regents authorized administration to execute a contract with a selected bidder that aligns with the total project cost of $17.5 million. The third-floor renovation totaled about $1.2 million, Carrick explained, and the first and second-floor renovations are projected to cost $14.3 in addition to other project costs, such as furniture and equipment, totaling about $2 million.

In laying groundwork for a separate project near Martindale Hall, the Board approved the University to seek funding support to enhance a crosswalk by applying for a grant through the Missouri Department of Transportation’s Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP). The grant, if awarded to Northwest, will pay for 80 percent or up to $600,000 of the total project cost; Northwest will fund the remaining 20 percent or up to $150,000 from its annual Campus Master Plan funds to meet the total project cost of $750,000.

The proposed project includes a new crosswalk and plaza redevelopment extending from the Fourth Street entrance of the Olive DeLuce Fine Arts building to the Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza with street lighting and a new sidewalk connecting Munn Avenue to Ray Avenue on the south side of the street.